We get this question from a lot of sales teams.
A big challenge with cold email is the number of variables you’re dealing with.
It’s hard to pinpoint what’s wrong if you’re not getting responses.
Here’s a checklist (using the REPLY Method linked here) you can use to fix cold emails that aren’t working:
1️⃣ Low open rate (should be 30-50%+)
– A/B test the subject line
– Make sure the first line of the email is personalized and relevant (this shows up in the preview on their email client)
2️⃣ Low reply rate (should be 5-10%+)
– Share relevant results you’ve created for others (leverage social proof and case studies)
– Use an empathy-based approach by leading with the prospect’s challenges
– Keep your outreach laser-focused (one CTA, 3-5 sentences or less than 120 words)
3️⃣ Low conversion rate into meetings (should be 3-6%+)
– Again, make the CTA clear…try being more specific with the day and time for a call
– Call the prospect…if a prospect responds “not interested” pick up the phone and call them. You’ll get a ton of great feedback to improve your messaging.
We use the REPLY Method for writing and troubleshooting cold email messaging. Check it out for a more in-depth guide.
PS – Here are three ways to help grow your outbound sales:
- #dailyprospectingtips. Follow for daily content to help you grow your sales pipeline.
- Reply Method Guide. A proven framework for increasing response rates, setting more meetings, and closing more deals.
- Work together. Get help increasing your team’s outbound sales by 2-3x. Schedule an outbound strategy session to learn new strategies for crushing your revenue targets this year.